Pylyp Orlyk Street was laid in the early eighteenth century in the former Clove tract.
In the project of Kiev’ plan of 1787 it was designated as a part of the classical rectangular blocks in the Lypky area.
During its existence period it was repeatedly renamed.
The first name was Gymnasicheskaia, as in 1811-1857 the first male high school was in the Klovskyi palace. Maxim Berlinskiy and Nikolai Kostomarov tought here. Also an artist Nikolai Ge, historian M.Zakrevsky, literary historian Nicholas Storozenko and other celebrities were students here.
And since the late 1840s it became Vinogradhaya, as it passed through the vineyard, which was located in that place.
In 1869 it was renamed to Elizavetinskaya. This name of the street was in honor of the Russian Empress Elizabeth.
From 1920 to 1938 it was known under Michailichenko Gnat Jurevich name, he was a writer and political figure.
Since 1938 it was Chekistov street, by the way, Kiev Emergency Commission situated here at that time.
Since 1993, the name changed again, but it was at the last time. And the street becomes known under Pylypa Orlyk Stepanovich name (1672-1742). He was the Hetman of Right-Bank Ukraine from 1710 to 1714 and in exile from 1714 to 1742. Pylyp Orlyk was a close associate of Hetman Ivan Mazepa.
A granite plaque with a bronze bas-relief of Philip Orlik is on the facade of the house number 1/15.
During a long time Klovskiy palace is the compositional centre of the street. It was built in the mid-eighteenth century (architect P.Neelov). It was built for the members of the royal family, when they were visiting Kiev. But the palace has been never used for this purpose. Only once, in 1744, the Russian Empress Elizabeth stayed here.
Primarily, the printing-office of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra was located in the palace, then, there was a military hospital, in the years 1811-1856 - the first male high school, and to 1917 - women’s religious school.
During the Civil War the palace was destroyed and in 1930 it was restored again. Since 1982 the Museum of the History of Kyiv was there, and only since 2003 - Ukraine’s Supreme Court - the highest judicial authority in the Ukrainian court system.
During the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the street was built up mainly with mansions, some of which survived to the present day.
There are also the buildings of the Soviet period, built in 1930-1950.
In the house number 4 in 1913 Nicholay Rodzyanko, the Chairman of the IV State Duma of the Russian Empire, stayed here.
In 1917-1918 an architect Pavel Gollandskiy lived in the first house.
In the fourth - Adjutant General George Bobrinskiy.
For a long time the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine was located in the houses number 3 and number 1/15.
Then it moved to the 1, Mikhailovskaya street.
The house number 16/12 is a club of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and its many creative teams.
Pylyp Orlyk Street is a one more confirmation that Kiev is a real reminder of history and one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Real estate agency "Teren Plus". Luxury apartments for rent in Kyiv downtown, apartments for daily rent. Property rent, houses for rent, offices for rent. Property management, relocation services.
Your application has been sent.
An error occurred while creating an application